--

My Blog List

5.5.10

Classmates' Chairs

Hey All,

I wasn't able to work in the shops today due to an AP Calculus test and an architecture project. Even though it's second semester senior year, I'm keeping up my work ethnic!

I was able to snap a few pictures of some of my metal classmates' projects though. I would go so far as to say this year's crop of designers and their designs were the best I've seen in my four years at Lick. Maybe I'm getting sentimental here, but it really was a good group of kids.


Hansoo Song is a sophomore. His chair is a kind of cocoon, which envelops the user from three sides. It tilts back with ease and is padded with sound proofing, which makes it an extremely comfortable chair. The sound proofing also makes it an enjoyable place to listen to music, so Hansoo placed two speakers on the top of the interior. Mr.Clifford astutely pointed out, "It feels like the music is in my head."



Kayla Abe is a junior. She was voted most fashionable in the Chronicles of Shop Fashion post. Her chair used recycled wood, which is splayed out to form the chair backing. A velvet red cushion was beautifully upholstered onto a stainless steel seat. My favorite elements are the two curved metal pieces, which act as structural elements but add to the composition of the chair as well.

Olivia Burr is a sophomore. This chair is very cute, and I love the asymmetrical backing.

Mike, a senior, took a very technical approach to his chair-- it reclines via a system he developed.
Hope you enjoyed! Please comment!

1 comment:

  1. i reallly like kayla's chair! so much.

    p.s. that calc test was something, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete