--

My Blog List

7.6.10

Chair 3 Complete! Coffee table 1

What a beautiful day Friday was! I finished Chair 3, which is certainly the most comfortable, well designed, and crafted piece of furniture I've fabricated in my three years at Lick. The chair combined wood and metal. The two materials worked off each other to create a comfortable, colorful, and (very) strong piece of furniture. This is certainly the beginning of a trend in my work-- I realize how the two materials can compliment each other; Each medium has its limits and by combining the two, the possibilities increase at least two fold.

Here's a detail of the wood backing. I rounded the edges smooth with the router.

I don't think it's feasible to make the fourth and final chair of this project in the last two days before the shops close for the summer, so I set out to create a smaller-scale piece of furniture. I designed this small coffee table (24" long, 14" wide, 12" high). My concept was to utilize wood as the base to attach traffic signs with screws
The blue aqua top will be de-burred and rounded, and then attached to the wood. Look for the completed piece tomorow!


DJG


1 comment: