--

My Blog List

8.3.10

Chair 2, Post 5

Chair 2 is nearing completion. Today I "leveled" the legs of the chair. This entailed fine tuning the four points that touch the floor so they touch the floor evenly. I still have work to do in this area, to say the least. I placed the chair on a flat surface after welding the two sides of the frame together. Three of the legs came down perfectly, but the fourth was about 1/8 inch off the ground! I'll post my solution tomorrow.


I noticed again that the 16" height of this chair looks rather short. It's almost like it's made for a small person. To test the ergonomics (the comfort level and how it will fit my body when it's finished) I slapped on two pieces of wood with clamps and sat in it. Quite frankly, it's really damn comfortable. Here's a picture of me in it, thanks to Rachel. I have on my TIG welding getup.

On another note, this weekend I participated in David Marks' gilding and patination class in Santa Rosa. Besides the hour drive to get out there, it was rather fun and instructional. David is a master craftsman with the Baulines Crafts Guild, an organization that contacted me a while back and that I'm finally getting involved with. Here are some images of my work there. It was a completely new experience for me, so I was experimenting-with varying levels of success. You can expect that I will experiment with some of these techniques on some of my work in the future!
Finally, I'd like to thank Yubi and Marianela for commenting on recent posts. Your feedback and comments are accepted enthusiastically!

Cheers,

David

3 comments:

  1. David --- great work. I look forward to seeing how you integrate the gilding and patination with the chairs. I see potential in using it for the frame in some way (unless of course it is a costly process). Can you explain what gilding and patination is?

    ReplyDelete