--

My Blog List

22.3.10

Chair 3, Post 2 and Wall Piece 1

Hey All,

As I mentioned in the last post, I'm working on putting traffic signs on the two frames I finished before I make the third and fourth frame. I planned out what signs I need for Chair 1.
Today I cut one of the signs (1) to specification. I need to bend that sign, and I wanted to test how the traffic sign reacted to being bent on a small piece of scrap from the sign. Some signs bend beautifully, but many crack at the seam where they are being bent. This sign cracked. It is a complication I will work out tomorrow.
Misha, Mr.Clifford's daughter, made an appearance in the shops today. Rachel and Gilli were "babysitting" her. They called out my name, and I turned to find Misha trapped underneath Rachel's chair (in progress). It looked like Misha was a little distressed, but apparently she was enjoying it. I had to snap a picture when Rachel suggested it. She's pretty astute about getting onto my blog.

I hit a rut with my main project, so I decided to start a small side project. I took some scrap sign and messed around with it to start this small wall piece. I'm thinking about layering an aqua blue piece of sign behind the yellow that fills the negative space. Hopefully this won't distract me too much from completing the main project.

Let me know what you think, I'd appreciate it greatly. Each comment brightens my day a little!

Best,

DJG



5 comments:

  1. keep sharing your thinking process and keep taking risks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is always a good idea to have small side projects, as a way to keep the creative juices flowing when you hit a rut. The wall hangings from scraps is a great idea.

    Looking forward to your next update.

    Tim Stein

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe you'll be able to extrapolate from your wall piece onto a new chair design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the wall design. and I think turquoise would probably look awesome. can't wait to see it. !!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. keep us up to date on the wall hanging! don't forget about it in the chair-making big picture. it's so cool.

    ReplyDelete