--

My Blog List

10.2.10

Chair 1, Post 6/ Rachel

The first frame is finished! Now all I need are some signs to finish the chair...


Details:
Time to fabricate: About 15 hours
Amount of tubing: About 15 feet
Height: 15-16"
Seat: 16" by 16"
Length of backing: 16" at 105 angle slant

Today, I started work on my next design:
The design is rather simple, with three long pieces, each with a single bend. However simple that sounds, the bends will be hard to coordinate, and even harder to duplicate. This design is certainly more challenging to fabricate than the first one!
==============

Today, I was speaking with some of my metalworking classmates, and one of them mentioned my blog. She said, "my goal is to make it on your blog." I smiled and even laughed aloud, not because I thought it was a ridiculous idea, but because I didn't know she was even
following this blog. As my laughing died down, I thought, "hey, why not feature my classmates' work on my blog?"

So it is with pleasure that I introduce you to Rachel Prensky-Pomeranz, a petite and always smiling sophomore--the very classmate who mentioned my blog today:
Here she is bending one side of her frame.
Rachel designed, and it now creating, a spirally based square seat, with may have a folding back feature. She was kind enough to let me snap some photos of her sketches:
I can't seem to shift this image, but the text reads:

1) Cut down metal for side panels into correct lengths (x5)
2) Bend bend bend! (x5)
3) Decide/design hinge system
4) Weld panels together! (add reinforcements)
5) Grind
6) Paint
Rachel plans with much more precision than I do, that's for sure! Feel free to leave comments for Rachel about her work.

Tomorrow I return to the metal shop. One bend at a time, I will create the second frame of this four part series.

Sincerely,

David

1 comment:

  1. As my laughing died down, I thought, "hey, why not feature my classmates' work on my blog?"

    Hhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahaha

    okay aside from that, you're awesome. Great post - very enjoyable to read...despite the fact that I have no idea what any of the technical stuff means. Keep it up.

    k8

    ReplyDelete