--

My Blog List

4.2.10

Chair 1, Post 2

Today was another productive day. I've got this momentum going in my favor.

I welded the last piece of the frame (x2) and cut four 14 inch long pieces that will connect the two sides of the frame.
For my benefit (and yours) I also slapped some wood I found in the shops onto the unfinished frame (using clamps only) so I could sit in it. This test gave me a feel for the stability and comfort of the chair. Both stability and comfort are working for this chair. Whether you like the design is up to you though!

I also spent 25 minutes teaching a sophomore how to setup and use the cold bender, which I have some experience with. It's his first time in Metal 2, and his design is off the wall--I hope he can make it. I'm probably going to post some pictures of some of my fellow metal students' work when it develops, or is finished.
Detail of some nice welds I'll grind off in the finishing process.
I was planning on putting the whole frame together today, but I noticed that there was something off. I investigated, and I found a minor (but annoying) issue that will take me tomorrow to fix. I actually wrote down the problem in my Moleskin notebook, so I can learn from the mistake.

More tomorrow, and let me know your thoughts! djosephgoteiner@gmail.com

-DJ

2 comments:

  1. Dj I love reading about your process and seeing the chair in progress. It really is an incredible! I like the simplicity and look as well though I'm not sure I like the welded aesthetic. Is there any way to add pigment and make it a bright color! I wonder if that would be cool or tacky. Maybe put bright colored tape around all the joints to test it out. Then again I might like it as is it's hard to tell on the computer and without the chair being complete. Add a pic tomorrow of someone sitting in it so we have a sense of the size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The welds will disappear when the chair is being finishing, but I like the idea of wrapping those areas with tape. Iodizing the chair with colored pigment is possible (although not in the Lick shop), but this is strictly a prototype--which only needs the essential features.

    The chair will be finished by the end of next week, so be patient. I'll have a fun photo shoot where a friend will dress up in 5 of so outfits to depict possible users.

    ReplyDelete