--

My Blog List

24.2.10

Chair 2, Post 2 and Ashkon

It's about time I started blogging again. The initial streak of blogs was broken by a large architectural model, which is now complete and in the lap of my teacher.

Let's not dwell on my past failure to post, here I am now with some good news. The second chair is coming along well--I've been measuring, cutting, and grinding the three (X2) pieces to specification. Then I'll take a class or two to learn TIG welding. After I've mastered the art of TIG welding, I'll try my hand and weld the two sides of the frame together.

On another note, I'm getting worried about my traffic sign supplier. He's been evasive and hasn't had a load of signs for me in a long time. Luckily, I still have a few signs left. However, one of them--the large one--isn't the best quality. It flakes and is very difficult to manipulate due to its thickness. Its color is beautiful though, so I'll have to find a creative way to incorporate it into my work. In the meantime, I'll be making new contacts. My sources will remain secret though! =]

Some great news: I've received a scholarship from the Baulines Crafts Guild for a workshop on chemical patination. The workshop looks awesome, and I'll extremely anxious to try my hand at some complex finishing processes. It also appears as if I'll be a master craftsperson's apprentice this summer, so I can hone my skills and work with an awesome teacher.

----
Today I decided to feature Ashkon Farhamgi, a junior who excelled in my architecture class last semester and is putting his knowledge of good design to use in the metal shop. His chair design incorporates the textures and patterns of the leaf into the chair back. The intricacies of the metalwork will be interesting to see pan out. Here are some of his sketches, cut list, and a snapshot of him working.

Until next time,

D






No comments:

Post a Comment