--

My Blog List

9.2.10

Chair 1, Post 5


This morning's metalworking session left me with a plastered smile on my face.

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating about the smiling. But I swear, I'm extremely satisfied with the work so far!

The framework of the chair is completely welded.

Some photos of the process of welding the two sides of the frame together:

The process requires a good 15-20 C clamps.

I also found the PERFECT setting for the TIG welder, which allowed me to make smooth, even welds.

Overall, a productive day. Tomorrow, I'll touch up the welds.

With the fabrication of this chair nearing completion, I am scouring for signs to rivet onto the frame. If you have any traffic signs, please contact me at djosephgoteiner@gmail.com. If I don't locate signs, I will just move onto the next frame, and leave the traffic sign component until later.

I also have the option of using wood. If you have experience with wood, please take the time to send me an e-mail with recommendations of: types of wood, ways to incorporate wood, and ways to attach the wood to the metal frame.

Cheers, and look back for more tomorrow!

David

5 comments:

  1. looking better every day... have you thought about using signs to actually make the frame? i have no experience in metal, so it's merely an innocent suggestion

    ReplyDelete
  2. continually impressed with your work and progress. keep a tally of the hours you spend on each chair. looking forward to the product of chair 1. can we start ordering?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm keeping a tally of the days I spend on the chair, but not the hours. I think the total for this chair will be under 15 hours though (fabrication).

    I'm planning on auctioning off the four chairs for philanthropic purposes. If a manufacturer or designer takes me under their wing, you will be informed and can place an order!

    D

    ReplyDelete
  4. david, this project is looking sick. I don't know anything about fabrication or any of this, but hear me out on an idea. Flip the chair upside down. The bars that are now the back could be the hind legs. What are now the front legs could go instead as the front legs, just inverted. If these hypothetical front legs were vertical and slightly longer than the hypothetical back legs, and my imagination is actually feasible, you could have two chairs on the same triangle weld designs. The original your working on and a relaxed easy chair based on that same triangle. But that's just my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ruben,

    This is an interesting concept, but your description is a bit confusing. Could you sketch a side profile (of my chair, and then the other option) and then send it to djosephgoteiner@gmail.com?

    ReplyDelete