--

My Blog List

3.2.10

Chair 1, Post 1

The second post on a blog may be the most important, for all I know. It means that the creation of this blog wasn't just a minute thought, an undeveloped idea. This project is more than that, I'm taking it very seriously (and having a lot of fun doing it!).
I'm actually hoping to post dozens of posts over the next few months.

Let me get to the details now. Today was my third day of fabrication on my first chair. The first day, I cut all my pieces using the full scale profile drawing I made:
The second day was mostly spent correcting an incorrect weld. I put two pieces (the 90 degree angle at the front) on the welding table, set it up correctly, made a heavier-than-I-should-have spot weld, and picked up the piece to find there was a small piece of welding wire where I welded. The small piece welded to the table pushed one of my pieces slightly off the table, resulting in a crooked weld. I thought, "Oh man, I'm off to a great start here. My first weld of the first chair..." So I spent a good 20 minutes grinding off the excess weld and setting the weld correct.
Today, I was rather productive. I angled and welded two more pieces to both sides of the frame, and the last piece of the frame is reading for tomorrow. The two sides of the frame are looking PRETTY even right now! What I mean is that both sides of the frame need to be duplicates. I laid them on top of each other-- pretttty good (Larry David reference, we love Curb Your Enthusiasm in my family).
Check back tomorrow for more photos of my progress, and perhaps some new anecdotes.

-DJG

1 comment:

  1. pretty, pretty good blog. scratch my previous comments. i'm a believer!
    -nikkicjg

    ReplyDelete